Talks over postmortem examinations
THE Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust has said it will be meeting with the coroner's office as soon as possible to discuss postmortem examination services in West Kent in light of a Courier exposé.
Last week we reported how state-of-the-art postmortem examination equipment costing thousands of pounds has been lying idle at Tunbridge Wells Hospital.
It means that bodies requiring a postmortem examination must be sent 35 miles to Greenwich Public Mortuary in London.
Tunbridge Wells MP Greg Clark said he was "appalled" by the situation. He demanded answers from the trust's chief executive Glenn Douglas on what steps are being taken to move the service to the hospital in Tonbridge Road, Pembury.
Urgently looking for propertyView details
WE require quality housing for professional clients. We will discount our fees to 8% if you mention This is Kent.
Terms: Please Call Jon or Lucy on 01892 731270
Contact: 01892 731270
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
In response, a spokesman for the trust this week said: "Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust can confirm that it is meeting with the coroner's officer as soon as possible to discuss the issue of local postmortem services."
The site in Pembury would first need to acquire a licence before postmortem examinations could take place.