Students left 'gutted' by cancelled ski trip
PUPILS bound for a ski trip in Switzerland were left in tears after their holiday was cancelled at the last minute.
Thirty-three girls and five teachers from Tonbridge Grammar School had spent a year gearing up for the £800 trip organised by Devon-based tour operator Skiing Europe.
Girls from Tonbridge School were left upset and disappointed when their recent ski trip was cancelled.
NO HOLIDAY: Girls from Tonbridge School were left upset and disappointed recently when their ski trip was cancelled TWPL20110221E-002_C
Girls from Tonbridge School were leat upset and disappointed when their recent ski trip was cancelled.
Girls from Tonbridge School were leaft upset and disappointed when their recent ski trip weas cancelled.
But on Friday, the group of 16-to-18-year-olds were told by head teacher Rosemary Joyce that the holiday had been scrapped.
Mrs Joyce was worried Skiing Europe could not guarantee arrangements were in place and is now taking legal advice over the situation.
To celebrate the opening of our new offices in Canterbury and Whitstable we are offering 50% off our standard selling fees on production of this voucher.
Terms: If you have instructed another agent on a sole agency and/or sale selling rights basis, the terms of those instructions must be considered to avoid possible liability to pay two commissions.
Contact: Whitstable 01227 208268
Valid until: Monday, September 30 2013
Parents were given advance warning of the possible cancellation in an e-mail from the school last Thursday, February 17.
Westerham mum Sandra Vivian, whose daughter Sam is at the school, said: "We only found out because the coach company phoned the school to say they had not been paid and so they were pulling the service.
"That was on Thursday, and then on Friday the school was ringing up the company to find out what was happening.
"They were trying to secure the trip by guaranteeing the coach company and then they found out there was a question over whether the hotels had been booked or not.
"We are not blaming the school, but want to make sure other schools are aware of the problems we have had."
Pupil Natalie Miller, 17, who lives in Badgers Mount, said she was "gutted" by the news.
She said: "We have been planning this for more than a year. On Thursday night, one of my friends texted to say it might be cancelled.
"We were all confused because we thought we were going on Friday.
"We went to school on Friday and were going to lessons as normal – we hadn't had more information.
"Then there was an urgent meeting at lunch and the trip organisers said there had been a problem and we were all really shocked and upset."
Natalie's mum Helen added: "We're not the blaming the school at all – my daughter has been there since Year 7 and nothing like this has happened before," she said.
"I don't understand what's gone wrong. The girls haven't got a holiday and someone has to be accountable."
Mrs Joyce said she took the decision because the tour operator was unable to provide the guarantees necessary to ensure that all arrangements were in place as they should be.
She said: "Without such guarantees the school could not be assured of the safety and wellbeing of students.
"We have taken legal advice on this matter. In light of this, it is not appropriate to comment any further."
A spokesman for Skiing Europe said: "We are extremely upset at the disappointment for the children. We did not cancel the trip. The coach had been paid in full and an excellent hotel had been booked."