Smoke alarm reminder after Ramsgate family's lucky escape
FIREFIGHTERS have highlighted the need to install a smoke alarm after a family had a lucky escape from a blaze in their home.
Two fire engines were sent to the house in Pullman Close, Ramsgate just after midnight on Friday. It is believed the homeowner failed to put out a cigarette properly.
When the smoke alarm in their home sounded, the family phoned 999, closed the internal doors and got out to safety.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using hose reel jets and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property. Damage was limited to the lounge, where the fire started and a smoke damaged bedroom.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Ramsgate watch manager Chris Nation said: "I would like to praise the family for staying calm, especially the two children. They put into practice the advice given during a fire safety lesson at their junior school. They knew they had to keep low to the ground, close the doors and get out, leaving belongings behind.
"Once a fire starts, it takes hold quickly and spread even faster, which is why its essential that you have an escape plan and know what to do if there is a fire in your home.
"With more people dying in fires started through smoking products than anything else. My advice would be, firstly, if you must smoke, make sure its completely stubbed out and secondly, fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home. As this incident highlights, they really can help save your life."
Assistance was also provided by a Red Cross vehicle which was also at the scene.
Mr Nation added: "Crews will be visiting neighbouring properties to give out free fire safety advice but if you have any concerns about keeping yourself or a friend or relative safe call us for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information."