Mum saved by daughter after microwave ravioli meal explodes
A MOTHER was spared from permanent scarring, thanks to her quick-thinking daughter.
Vicky Patmore, 32, from Birchington was severely burnt when a microwave meal exploded as she removed the film lid.
Miss Patmore was burnt from her chin down to her chest when a the beef ravioli sprayed on to her face.
Her eight- year-old daughter, Ella Rake, immediately called an ambulance and advised her mother on how to stop the injury worsening.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Miss Patmore ran a cold shower and her daughter told her to wrap cling film round the wound after she got out of the shower.
Miss Patmore said: "I am so proud of her. I was in a bad way and she just knew what to do straight away. I had gone into a state of shock."
Paramedics who treated Miss Patmore at her home said that Ella's care saved her mother from permanent scarring.
Modest Ella said: "We have just learnt about burns, so that's how I knew what to do. When the ambulance arrived the man told my mum I had done the right thing."
Ella has been learning first aid at an after-school club at Chartfield School.
Miss Patmore said: "I am really grateful to the school for teaching first aid.
"Thank heavens for those classes. Miss Shipley, who leads the club, is amazing. I commend her for it."
Miss Patmore is now calling for more schools to teach first aid.
And it is not the first time that Ella has come to her mother's rescue. In 2010, Ella called an ambulance when Miss Patmore suffered a heart attack.
On that occasion, and at just five years old, Ella's quick-thinking and cool head saved her mother's life.
Miss Patmore added: "She is like a little carer to me, she is amazing."
Despite her emergency heroics, Ella does not want to pursue a career in medicine.
She said: "I'd like to be a zoo keeper when I'm older, as I want to look after animals. I don't want to be a vet, as I wouldn't like to cut an animal open. I don't want to be a doctor, either, because I don't like people being sick."
Despite visible burns on her face and chest, doctors say that it is unlikely that Miss Patmore will be permanently scarred.