'Mixed-use' scheme planned for derelict ABC cinema site in Tunbridge Wells
The Carlyle Group and Bellhouse Joseph, joint owners of the cinema site on Mount Pleasant Road in Tunbridge Wells, have said they hope to submit a planning application for a 'mixed-use' scheme over the summer.
Work is currently progressing in preparation for the demolition process to begin, and on Monday 23 April 2012 a number of companies were asked to submit formal tenders for the work by mid-May.
This follows the submission of an application to demolish the existing buildings in November last year, with approval from Tunbridge Wells Borough Council being received at the end of December 2011.
Edward Bellhouse, of Bellhouse Joseph, said: "Working with us on this important but complex project is a high quality team, including Professor Robert Adam of Adam Architecture.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"Although there may have been little visible sign of progress, there has in fact been a great deal of work going on behind the scenes since we acquired the site six months ago. This has included regular discussions with the Council, which is as keen as we are to see the site brought back into use.
"We have undertaken a detailed and time-consuming study of the site that has enabled us to understand the critical issues and how to manage constraints such as the rail tunnel underneath while at the same time meeting the needs of potential occupiers. We are now able to move forward with considerable confidence."
Ben Du Boulay, Director at The Carlyle Group, added: "We believe strongly in the potential of this site, and are in advanced discussions with a number of possible occupiers including a supermarket and a hotel. I have been encouraged by the level of demand, and I am confident that we will be able to attract a strong roster of tenants to the development.
"We are fully committed to getting this project underway as soon as possible and have made good progress in the six months that we have owned the site. We look forward to submitting our full plans over the summer.
"Before that happens we will be seeking feedback on our proposals from local residents, statutory bodies and a range of other interested parties."
Good to hear some progress is being made at least. Any ideas on who the supermarket and hotel might be? Waitrose has got to be a contender surely, as it lost out on the Morrisons site lease recently?