Grisly find in takeaway makes un-Happy Meal
A PARENT was left horrified after finding a used hair net covering a hamburger and chips in his child's McDonald's Happy Meal.
Clive King, 47 of Morants Court Farm, Chevening, was disgusted when his son Oliver, nine, revealed what was lurking in his takeaway dinner – and then angered at the lack of apology from the fast food chain.
The King family, who enjoy McDonald's food three or four times a week, used the drive-through of the eatery on Otford Road, Sevenoaks, at 2.15pm on April 10.
Mr King then parked in the restaurant's bays and he and his two sons, Oliver and Tom, 18, tucked into their meals.
He said: "Oliver opened up his Happy Meal and it contained a used McDonald's hair net.
"We returned to the restaurant immediately to speak to the manager, and were told that the area manager would not be in until the following Friday.
"They offered us four free meals but that was not good enough. I wanted to know what they were going to do about it."
Mr King was contacted on Friday, April 13 by business manager Di Miles, who then reported the incident to head quarters at McDonald's UK.
He said: "I insisted that it got taken higher up as I did not want them to get away with it locally. "As far as I was concerned McDonald's UK should deal with it and eventually a report was sent to them."
Two weeks after the complaint was lodged at headquarters, Mr King was still waiting for a response. He said: "I am more disgusted by the fact they do not care, rather than what happened.
"If I did something like put a hair net in someone's food I would be mortified."
The Chronicle got in touch with McDonald's UK to find out why Mr King had not been contacted. Shortly after he received a letter of apology and meal vouchers.
A McDonald's UK spokesman told the Chronicle: "We are sorry for this isolated lapse in our usual high standards of customer service and quality.
"McDonald's' first priority is hygiene and safety and we would like to reassure customers that we have carried out retraining with all managers at the Sevenoaks restaurant to ensure this doesn't happen again."