Animal rescue warns of in-breeding risk
AN ANIMAL rescue charity has warned of the dangers of buying badly bred dogs, after a nine-week-old puppy with birth defects died during an operation.
French Bulldog Gino had congenital defects caused by in-breeding. He suffered from severe breathing difficulties and a collapsed larynx that made it difficult for him to sleep.
The condition is common in dogs bred with short noses.
Happy Endings Rescue in Faversham sent Gino to have an operation to widen his trachea, nostrils and repair his larynx at the Royal Veterinary College at the weekend. But Gino died on the operating table and Happy Endings have been left with a vet's bill of at least £3,000.
Make the whole house smell of Mince Pies without the hassle of...View details
Try our Mince Pie scented candles - one of five flavours - at Tomic & Daly. Find us on the High Street in Whitstable, No 37. We're opposite Budgen's, you can't miss us!
Contact: 01227 208369
Valid until: Thursday, December 12 2013
Happy Endings founder Chris Johns said: "We made the decision to do all we could after taking advice from our own trusted vets but we could not have known of the defect Gino was born with It was therefore left to us to make the decision to have Gino put to sleep.
"His story highlights another sad case of badly bred dogs which unfortunately seems to be something in at the moment, with breeders selling these dogs for thousands of pounds.
To donate visit www.happy endingsrescue.org or text HEAR24 and the amount you would like to donate to 70070.